Did You Ever Consider That Burning Nice Smelling Candles Might Be Harmful To Your Health?
If you are like most, you have visited candle stores or people’s homes and had warm fuzzy feelings from the scent of a memory from a childhood, or just a scent that made you feel relaxed and happy. The great debate continues among candle companies regarding soy versus paraffin wax candles with regard to safety. For years, the typical candle made of paraffin wax was the staple of the candle industry. For the first time in 100 years the candle industry was rocked by the innovation of soy wax that is becoming the gold standard of candles in the 21st century.
What Would You Prefer Burning In Your Home?
One of soy wax’s claim to fame is that soy candles burn clean. Paraffin wax candles produce soot due to incomplete combustion of petroleum-based fuels. Soy candles produce zero petro–soot. If you have ever been annoyed by the black soot that lines the top of your candle jar or the black soot that soon covers your walls and curtains, then you may consider a soy candle that produces no soot to be a breakthrough. If you are very young or elderly or have breathing issues the typical wax candle poses further problems. Researchers caution against exposure to burning typical wax if you are very young or old or having breathing issues. In addition, burning paraffin wax emits carcinogens (cancer causing agents) and environmental agencies have deemed them as ‘toxic air agents.’
Benefits of Soy Wax Candles
Soy wax burns clean from sustainable sources affording farmers a fast-growing new market. Some additional benefits of soy candles include:
- Soy wax burns longer than paraffin wax
- Soy wax has the ability to release scents easier than paraffin candles
- Soy wax is derived from natural vegetable sources and paraffin wax is a refined gasoline by-product
- Soy candles are safer to the environment and to health
- Soy wax is biodegradable as opposed to paraffin wax that is not
- Soy wax cleans up easily if spilled while paraffin wax spills are often difficult if not impossible to clean up
- Soy candles reduce the amount of indoor air pollution
- Soy candles do not produce as much heat and will not ruin walls
- Soy candles do not interfere with the smell and taste of foods as paraffin candles release chemicals that overpower the aroma of foods
- When you purchase soy candles you are supporting American farmers
What To Consider When Purchasing Soy Wax Candles
Soy wax candles have many benefits when compared to paraffin wax candles and an added benefit is choosing those made with essential oils as opposed to the typical fragrance oils used in candles. Essential oils give off a softer scent than fragrance oils and that is a benefit to those that find some candles overpowering or have a sensitivity to the strong smells they produce. Some essential oils used in soy candles include:
- Lavender – helps to relax and promote sleep
- Eucalyptus – helps with nasal congestion and asthma
- Vanilla bean – helps fight infection, relieve PMS, reduce depression
- Mango – known for healing properties
- Coconut – energizing and uplifting
- Lime – cooling and provides immune support
- Basil – anti-viral and anti-inflammatory
- Mandarin – detoxifying effects
The list of essential oils is beyond the scope of this article and for more information on where to find soy candles with various organic essential oils click here.
So, the debate may continue among candle companies; however, the research concludes that soy candles are the clear and safer choice for our homes and health.